The term “selfie” was entered into the Oxford Dictionary in 2013. However, it had already been in use for more than 10 years. Can you remember your first self-portrait aka a selfie? Keep reading to find out more about the phenomena that took the World by storm and the best places on the planet for the ultimate selfie.
What is a selfie stick?
Apparently, the original selfie stick was invented way back in 1983, in Japan. Ueda Hiroshi and Mima Yujiro created a portable contraption that would hold a compact camera, allowing the photographer to hold an extendable pole attached to the holder. This allowed the photographer to set the camera’s timer and get into position for a photo that included the whole family. Unfortunately, for Ueda Hiroshi and Mima Yujiro, this was before its time and the inventions never really take off, with regards to sales or popularity.
Fast forward to the start of the 21st century, to Wayne Fromm. This Canadian inventor created and patented the Selfie Stick, as we know it today. This marvelous device, for smartphones, has helped millions of people to capture perfect self-portraits everywhere they go. The Selfie Stick has become a great tool for solo travelers and families. No more do we need to ask strangers to take a photo. Parents and Grandparents can come from behind the camera and be included in the image that helps make the holiday memories last a lifetime.
If you love a good selfie and want to have a spectacular self-portrait in your holiday collection of images, here are the top 20 places to visit from around the World.
10 Incredible Selfie Spots, Around the World
- Mineral Beach, Israel: Visit the dead sea and get covered in the nutrient-rich mud.
- Peyto Lake, Canada: Discover the beauty of Banff National Park and get a photo of you and the turquoise Peyto Lake. The color is astonishing.
- On the Slide, down the Great Wall of China: Ride the downhill toboggan and take a selfie.
- 12 Apostles, Australia: On the Great Ocean Road, near Melbourne, visit the 12 Apostles for a selfie of great natural beauty.
- Burj Khalifa, Dubai: Imagine a selfie with the tallest building in the World! It’s 2,722 ft tall.
- Madam Tussauds: Around the World, there are multiple wax museums dedicated to the world of celebrity and history. Capture a self with your favorite actor, president or sportswoman.
- Colosseum, Rome: With the ancient Roman amphitheater in the background, this is sure to be an amazing photograph.
- Park Guell, Barcelona: With the quirky and colorful works of Antoni Gaudí. Take a beautiful selfie at this UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Empire State Building, New York City: The Big Apple has many great locations for a selfie, like the Top of The Rock and Liberty Island. One not to forget about is the 1,250-foot Empire State Building, with the city that never sleeps in the background.
- Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe: Depending on how close you get, you may get wet!
10 More Beautiful Places for A Selfie
- Antelope Canyon, Arizona: Navigate through the miles of eroding sandstone formations. It will be magical.
- Machu Picchu, Peru: Travel to this 15th century Inca site. If you’re lucky your selfie will include a photobomb from a llama.
- Top of the Shard in London: While, in London, have a selfie from the viewing deck inside The Shard and have the incredible City of London as your background. Add a touch of class with a glass of bubbling in hand.
- Eiffel Tower, Paris: Built in 1889, the Eiffel Tower, is by far the most photographed attraction in France and maybe even Europe.
- Queenstown, New Zealand: If you dare, get a memorable selfie of a bungee jump in the city that specializes in extreme sports.
- Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco: Take a selfie on one of the most popular bridges in the World, for selfies.
- Taj Mahal, India: Take a cross-legged seat and look peaceful for a selfie with the brilliant white Taj Mahal.
- The Jesus Statue, Rio de Janeiro: Climb the mountain and take a photo with or on the famous statue.
- Trolltunga, Norway: Strike a pose in the glorious outdoors, surrounded by rock ledges, lakes, and mountainous forests.
- Mendenhall Glacier, Alaska: Find an ice cave and get ready to smile in Alaska.
How many of these 20 diverse selfie spots have you already captured on film? Whenever you take a selfie please be aware of your surroundings and above all, you must be safe. Share your favorite selfie with @hotelsescape on Twitter or Facebook, with the hashtag #SelfieEscape.